icon himmel

New rules regarding renting weapons on Svalbard

The new Firearm regulation effective from 1. June 2021 implies that most scientists will have to apply for permission in order to rent a rifle for polar bear protection from Kings Bay. This permission will be granted by the police, and:

  • all residents of Svalbard and foreign citizens over the age of 18 must apply to the office of the Governor of Svalbard for permission to rent a rifle, while.
  • residents on the Norwegian mainland must apply to their local police district.

Private persons over the age of 18 who have valid firearms permit, or European Firearms Pass can rent a rifle without applying for permission from the office of the Governor of Svalbard.

Unless you have a valid EU firearms permit pass, you will need a safety course from Kings Bay in order to rent a rifle in Ny-Ålesund. As of today (15.07.2021) immediately after a passed safety course we can send a confirmation to the governor from the reception to finalize application process.

NOTE: The processing time can take up to 4 weeks if you’re from abroad or a resident of Svalbard. If you are from the Norwegian mainland it can take up to 3-6 months. It is therefore important that you start the process and apply for the permission early enough.

General requirements for applicants:

  • the applicant must meet the requirements for conduct, sobriety and suitability
  • the applicant must meet the age requirement of 18 years

the applicant must be able to document sufficient skills in the handling and use of hunting weapons

What do you need to do?

  1. You should apply early as possible at your home police district if you live on mainland Norway.
  2. If you are from abroad or a resident of Svalbard you should apply to the Governor et Svalbard at least 4 weeks before you travel to Svalbard via this link: Sysselmesteren

Note: If you previously have passed a safety course from Kings Bay, you can use this for “documentation of sufficient skills in the handling and use of hunting weapons”. If it is no longer valid, it can still be used for this application, however you will then have to take a safety refresher course when you arrive Ny-Ålesund in order to rent a weapon from Kings Bay. If you have not completed the safety course by Kings Bay, you should still apply early (without the certificate), since all applications to the Governor will be processed when received, pending a confirmation of a valid safety training by Kings Bay upon arrival Ny-Ålesund.

  1. You must pay the invoice from the Governor before the application is processed. The Governor’s office will also perform a background check of you.
  2. A valid photo ID and firearms permit must be shown to the firearms dealer (Kings Bay in Ny-Ålesund) you are renting from. Foreign firearms permits/licenses must be translated into Norwegian or English.
  3. Note that the rented firearm cannot be left with or handed over to others, even in connection with the delivery of the firearm from the firearms dealer or the return of the firearm.
  4. For further information pertaining safety courses and/or renting weapons from Kings Bay, contact the reception at: reception@kingsbay.no or +47 7902 7200


shoe repair 11